Senior International Markets Manager, South Asia
Senior International Markets Manager, South Asia
Working within the International Markets team as part of the wider inward investment function, the Senior South Asia Markets Manager will play a key role in driving the success
This role will be responsible for lead generation, stakeholder relationship management and intermediary engagement activity across the South Asia markets, primarily focused on India as a core market. The role holder will maintain relationships across a number of different trade organisations. Through this activity and associated relationship management, the role-holder will help to raise awareness of the West Midlands' Inward Investment proposition and secure advocacy and support from key partners, which will in turn generate a pipeline of qualified investment projects for the region.
The role holder will also support the regional India strategy and upcoming West Midlands International Strategy (WMIS).
Following the integration of the West Midlands India Partnership (WMIP) into the WMGC board, this role will also be responsible for managing overarching relationships with key West Midlands-based South Asian stakeholders, leveraging their market presence and supporting the development of their propositions for the South Asian market.
- Play a key role in the delivery of international intermediary and stakeholder engagement on behalf of the West Midlands Growth Company, including, but not limited to, the overarching relationships with important DBT posts and Markets teams; trade and investment agencies acting on behalf of South Asian countries for inward investment; London Embassies and High Commissions; trade and sector bodies (e.g., CII, FICCI, nasscom, UKIBC) in order to raise the regional profile and gather market intelligence.
- Support the International Markets Lead on the development of an International Strategy for the West Midlands Growth Company, identifying the key market opportunities to attract inward investment from, the key stakeholders that must be influenced to ensure success, and the activities required to raise awareness of the West Midlands investment proposition, amongst both prospective FDI investors and key South Asian stakeholders.
- Act as the market "expert" with regards to India and wider South Asia, proactively seeking intelligence on economic and policy changes that may influence WM approach to South Asia market engagement.
- Work closely with the Growth Company's Inward Investment sector leads and cross-programme events teams, to scope, plan and deliver a number of effective inward investment activities specific to the South Asia market(s), including (but not limited to) inward investment delegations.
- Develop a pipeline of qualified leads and opportunities from the South Asia geography via direct business development, international intermediaries and wider stakeholder relationships.
- Leverage the international footprint of key partners of the West Midlands Growth Company, including commercial partners and the region's universities, to drive awareness of the region's inward investment opportunities.
- Work closely with regional stakeholders, supporting them on their South Asia market propositions and aligning their offers to the market opportunities identified in South Asia.
- Work closely with the senior management team at the West Midlands Growth Company to ensure consistent and effective achievement of contract objectives, providing flexible support to ensure the team targets are achieved.
- Undertake planned marketing and lead generation activities both nationally and internationally (trade fairs, exhibitions etc) to showcase the regional WMCA geography offer e.g., India Global Week.
- Make efficient use of CRM systems and processes to record, monitor, review and refine business development strategies, together with marketing and communications programmes to fully exploit business opportunities both for the business and for the wider benefit of the region.
- Build influence across the region for WMGC through its inward programmes within Midlands Engine, DBT and other relevant national and international organisations and intermediaries to ensure that WMCA geography is perceived as a priority region for them to direct inward investment opportunities to.
- Work closely with marketing and communications team to provide guidance on various South Asia activities from a branding, press and wider external affairs perspective.
- Professional qualification, relevant degree, or equivalent experience
- Evidence of proactive professional development or a qualification in a relevant discipline
Skills and attributes:
-International experience and outlook
- Big picture thinker - able to think and plan strategically.
- Excellent communication / relationship management skills
- Excellent inter-personal and team working skills, and a proven ability to form partnerships, motivate, enthuse and drive individuals.
- Strong influencing skills with the ability to secure cooperation from senior external stakeholders.
- Excellent communication and presentational skills, with the ability to communicate ideas, issues, systems and procedures successfully at all levels to a variety of audiences.
Demonstrable self-starter, capable of thriving in a fluid, results-driven environment.
- Formal sales or key account management skills training.
- An innate focus on developing others, using a coaching and mentoring approach.
Knowledge and experience
-Excellent commercial awareness and able to build relationships with senior staff across the private and public sector.
- Significant experience of dealing with India or Indian companies, particularly in a trade or inward investment context.
- An understanding of the structure and role of the UK's Department for Business and Trade and its role in supporting inward investment into the UK.
- Experience of working in a multi-stakeholder / delivery partner environment.
- Significant experience of developing and executing successful international business development and/or account management strategies.
- Demonstrable evidence of deep pre-existing relationships within the UK's Department for Business and Trade and/or its counterparts in South Asia.
- Experience of place marketing or investment promotion.
- Experience of working in inward investment or FDI, for one of the following: a national or regional trade, investment or economic development agency; an FDI-focused management consultancy business.
- Previous evidence of working effectively in a role with international dimensions, primarily India.
- Knowledge of the structures and roles of relevant public bodies operating within the West Midlands region.
- An understanding of cross-border trade and investment, including an up-to-date knowledge of the commercial drivers and barriers relating to international greenfield investment.
More info required? Why not call Nikki on 07540 942 901